Monday, February 07, 2005

TGIM

Well hello my lil' chickadees!
How was everyone's weekend? Good, I hope.
We had a decent weekend.
Duane has just about finished the kitchen (I will post pics soon), and, with the help of my pals Mel and Brian, I am getting my website updated.
We went and saw Boogeyman over the weekend. A lot like Darkness Falls but creepier.
Not a whole lot went on in the movie, lots of opening of closet doors. Still spooky.
Only thing that was crappy was the CGI at the end.
They will never learn. No one's gonna be scared by Max Headroom.
No one.
But I digress...
So, has anyone been waiting in antici-PATION for more reveals on my Boo Hoo list? I know the answer to that, so don't respond. I came up with this list to herald the coming of another tearjerker to DVD tomorrow, The Notebook. It's shameless bawl-inducing at its best, but it is still REALLY effective. Do yourself a favor and rent it if you are in the mood to lose it.
I am doing two sets (to make up for lost time) for this post. Without further ado, I bring you:





#16: Some Kind of Wonderful
The end of the Hughes teenage flicks. He didn't direct this one and it shows compared to the other big hits of his teenage film ouvre. But, his writing of REAL teen characters still hits home undoubtedly. This is one of those movies you catch AFTER you have seen Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink....it deserves more notoriety. The three leads do a great job. It's the only movie I can stand Eric Stoltz in (and actually think he is good looking in). Lea Thompson, who I just adore and have a MAJOR straight crush on, since childhood, does the job here for me. Yes, it's sad that the tomboy is invisible to her best friend. The TRUE sob scene for me is at the end when Lea Thompson has her "It's gonna feel good to stand on my own" speech and she gives the earrings Eric Stoltz bought her with his college savings back to him and says "You know in your heart you wanna give these to someone else".
UGGH! All through the movie, you think this uppity popular girl is going out with him just to be nice, but in the end, you see she really cares enough for him to realize she needs to do the right thing. I again am a sucker for people doing the "right thing" in the movie after coming to a realization.
I remember seeing this film on cable in high school and just feeling for all the characters, especially Eric Stoltz as the artist(!) who never fit in. GREAT stuff! Should not be overlooked!


#15: My Best Friend's Wedding
Ok. Julia Roberts. 'nuff said. Everyone that knows me I ADORE her. Would marry her myself if she wasn't already, AND didn't have kids by the guy! Anyhoo, this is one great movie. Short and sweet, this woman really loves her best friend. In the end, she comes to a realization(!) that she is not the one for him and it is indeed, the girl that he chose to marry who is.
The scene at the end, where, in the hordes of wedding attendees, she is searching for her best friend before he and his new wife rush off to their honeymoon, THAT'S what gets me. She, for a second, looks defeated, then turns to catch him right next to her, having sought her out to give her one last goodbye before he moves on into his life of marriage. She gives him a knowing look, a hug, and, you can see it by the small vein in her forehead, she is holding back a Julia Roberts cry. The piano in the background doesn't help either.
This, like the movie above, is a good cry. You cry because everything is as it should be. The characters all are in the places they need to be. In this one, you may not like the fact that Julia doesn't get the guy, but as the very end shows, she will be alright.


#14: Riding In Cars With Boys
This movie is not the best. There are lags in it and to tell you the truth, I haven't watched it since I bought it a while ago on DVD used. But, the story still sticks with me and Drew Barrymore's performance does too. All she gotta do is cry. That's all it takes.
Dealing with a strong maternal figure is difficult growing up.
When they make you feel like you have caused them grief, then it really stings.
This story will ring true for a lot of us out there that grew up in difficult familial circumstances.
The ending is the saddest (isn't it always the ending?), where the son sees his father for the first time in years and it's not the best of meetings. Steve Zahn (of That Thing You Do! fame) does a great job as the loser father and has some great lines at the end. That starts the flow.
Then, we have two blowouts between Drew (as the adult boys mother!) and her son. The dialogue between the two is pretty raw. In the end, she comes to a realization(!) and does the right thing by telling her son he is the best thing that happened to her life and she finally lets him release all the emotional weight off his shoulders from worrying about his mom's well-being.
The very ending, with her catching a ride home from her old man is very sweet and, just look at that emotion on her face! whooooooooooeeeeee. sad.


#13: Ghost
My sister's main joke against me lately is that I own this. She says I NEVER liked it before so why do I have it? True, wasn't my FAVE movie of all time like JOE SOMEBODY (starring Tim Allen-yeh, who?) was to her, but it's a really good movie that I have wanted for a while.
The reason? Whoopi. I have NEVER thought Whoopi has used her full potential in anything she has done since The Color Purple (which I haven't seen but can estimate was her first REAL role besides shit like Jumpin' Jack Flash).
She is the reason I like this movie so much. I think she won the Oscar for this. She deserved it. I don't like her in anything else but this movie. Sorry Duane, not ever Sister Act. She brings humor, emotion and creates a character I felt more for than the two leads.
Why is this movie so bawl-inducing? Because the sadness of the situation between the two lovers and the fact that a complete stranger (Whoopi) was caught up in it enough to help in the end. Sucker for people who wouldn't normally interact with other people being caught up in their lives....
And of course, the ending, with Demi giving perfect tear for the camera. Patrick walking into the light and the music reaching its crescendo. WOW!
Shut up, Rachel.

12 Comments:

Blogger swirlogirl said...

HAHAHAh missed you this weekend trav! please tell me about this CGI in boogeyman. february is so romantic. horror films all over the place!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah gotta love all the horror movies to choose from. Makes a better romantic date then a tear jerker though :) And Trav I have to agree I love Whoopi in Ghost... but that is a movie you only have to see once.
Laura

2:40 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

Laura-
Now you know you wrong fo' that!
Although I have to say that Ghost is not a movie I will be watching a helluva lotta times!
What's new wit you?

Jen-
yeh, the CG shit in Boogeyman ruined the monster for me at the end....looked like The Lawnmower Man chasin' people and shit. HAHAHAHA! Too funny!
Oh yeh and one more thing, I had a Twist Up sighting yesterday on the dash of some poor shlub's pickup. Thought of ya!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

GOD I SUCK.

ANYWAY,

I totally forgot that the Lenny made an appearance in Riding in Cars...

3:29 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

Mel-
Yep. Good ol' Lenny made it into Riding In Cars...sans guitar.
T

3:32 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/050203/115524__boogeyreport_l.jpg

the boogeyman needs a good moisturizer. i'm going to go with mischa barton and suggest neutrogena friend.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Steph Calvert said...

this just in trav, your scarf's half done!

also, don't waste your time on the aviator, it has the shittiest ending ever known to man. worse than welcome to the dollhouse. i don't remember a damn thing about welcome to the dollhouse, except for i hated the ending, whatever it was. the end.

riding in cars with boys is such a downer, dude - it's like a train wreck sort of movie, you just can't stop watching it no matter how depressing it gets...

and this weekend while i was bummin' around the house "roadhouse" was on.. i've never ever seen it all the way through but DAMN is that funny!

5:40 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

OH NO SHE DIDNT JUST BRING UP ROADHOUSE!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

Steph-
Sorry it took so long to respond. The scarf! Really? You really shouldn't have! That's really cool of you! You know I really wanted one! Thank you!
Ah. The Swayze classic Roadhouse. Lest we forget that TBS Superstation staple every Saturday night. Whatta classic. A double of feature of that with the Sly Stallone arm wrestling classic Over The Top would be pure heaven, wouldn't it?
Riding in Cars....yeh. Pretty damn depressing. Definitely not the best movie. I think I included it because Drew cries in it. That does me in.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Roadhouse... really what can you say about that movie. Wait didn't it have the blind guitar player who sang that song about ~what made you turn your angel eyes my way~? or was that a different movie...

Laura

11:21 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Molly, you in danger girl.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home