Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Finally got some art done for my portfolio!
Hallelujah!
My portfolio was lookin' as stale as the skits on MADTV.
I was lookin' through it and a lot of it was old work from college.
Wow, what a progression!
Need to remove as much of that shit as possible!
Think I am finally, with the help of friends and a Dummy's Guide To book, delving into the world of Adobe Illustrator with both feet and trying out some pieces solely using that program.
I'll post some new work on here once I have played around a little more.
Watch for some new pieces on my site in the coming months.

Well, time to continue up to the #1 position of my Weepie's list.
I know this shit is going on long. Maybe shoulda just done a Top 10.
But I gotta tell you people: When you are alone at home on a rainy day and feeling moody, it ALL speaks to ya.
Anyhoo-without further ado, here is entry 8 and 7:






#8: Stepmom
This movie is TOTALLY calculated. The use of the disease ridden mother.
The divorce.
The other woman trying to fill in mom's shoes.
The shameless use of old motown hits.
Most of it's really lame.
The last bit of the movie where both kids come up to see their dying mom and she gives them what will be their last Christmas gifts from her. THAT'S WHAT has me moist in the eye holes.
SO manipulative, yet SO works because of Susan Sarandon's performance.
(Probably also helps that she reminds me of my mom and the whole dying thing hits, like Jim J Bullock, Too Close For Comfort!)
BEWARE though: AKA! (Annoying Kid Alert)!!! The little girl in this movie is so damn annoying, you wanna pummel her.


#7: Fried Green Tomatoes
This movie covers so many story lines, there's BOUND to be a moment in it for you that will make you cry.
Everyone does a good job in this and you care about all the characters, especially Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates.
There's death, repression, but hope in this story-within-a-story-film.
I am NOT a fan of period pieces by any means.
Please don't give me a history lesson when I go to the movies.
I flunked history.
The story is so damn good here though that it pulled me in.
The southern setting also reminds me of growing up in the south and living here nowadays (ok, it reminds me of a GOOD way because of the good memories growing up and the beautiful scenery, but, for the record, I am ready to leave now. PLEASE!)
What makes me dew up in this movie, among many things, is first, how the older woman helps Kathy Bates' character evolve into someone with strong self worth and their bond and then, a death towards the end of the movie and the way it's handled. The acting in that scene is great. SO SAD.
I remember seeing this movie in high school and it STILL being one of my favorites today.
It's a long movie, but get into it if you have the time and let it tell it's story.
Got a great ending to it and the soundtrack's really great too. Even the score. Gotta ebay that shit!
TAWANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger swirlogirl said...

fannie flagg, the author of that friend green tomatoes based book is really good. and funny. she's always on those old episodes of the Match Game. anyhoo, i read a different book of hers in high school and LOVED IT! and other than that i forgot what i was orginally going to really say. keep up the good work trav!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

Hey girl!
Thanks!
How is work coming for you?
Sorry I don't get on AIM that much anymore.
Really trying to get some shit done, ya know?
Everything going good for you?
Fannie Flagg...lol! Yep, I knew she wrote ...at The Whistlestop Cafe' or whatever, the book this movie was based on, but on old TV game shows???LOL!
She is crazier than Paula Dean of Lady and Sons!

1:43 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

paula deen is crazier than a shithouse rat. i saw that on the food network

3:59 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

oh and work sucks hahaha

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Trav,

I have to be honest, I haven't seen either of these movies. I fell asleep during F.G.T. so I can't support you with any of these... :) Congrats on getting some more portfolio pieces done. Can't wait to see them.
Laura

4:00 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

Laura-
Hey girl!
How's work?
I am gonna force you to watch ALL MY FILMS when you come up MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Kathy Bates, don't cry.. I know they won't be making Dolores Clairborne 2, but don't worry! It's not like anyone saw the first movie! Keep up with these amazing choices, Travis.. I do have to admit that I'm getting a little bit teary-eyed like Kathy.. Why haven't you included my favorite Howard? Don't discriminate on the animals, he plays an amazing guitar! The chords he can reach, bring tears to my eyes.

I'm crossing my fingers that you'll include My Favorite Mr. Ripley as the next choice on your list.. Oh, wait, you'd have to actually watch that movie.. and we both know that's still in the packaging. BOOYAH!

Your lovely sister. :]

5:18 PM  
Blogger Steph Calvert said...

you know what, i never saw fried green tomatos.

i've also never eaten fried green tomatos...

but i did throw some at an exlover once in a fit of rage!!! and i'd do it again!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home