Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Numero Dos

Sorry for the non-posting yesterday.
Since last we met, it was Valentine's Day, art projects, a possible client, and a musical episode of the show I am sure is playing in hell as we speak, 7th Heaven.
Yes. A musical episode.
But I digress.
I want to thank Mel and Bri for the upgrade to my site (minor facelift) and to Mel for the links she has provided me to get in touch with the art community online...it's been great.
Thanks to Laura for the chat via emails.
Thanks to Jen and Steph for hilarious comments and blog entries.
Thanks to Joe for his VERY UN-PC comments on this blog (thought about taking them off but they are SO Joe, I can't).
Thanks to Jen Lane in Cali for the funny-ass emails and still-intact biting humor. When am I gonna help you with getting your blog going girl?

We are ending up this Top 20 Trav Boo Hoo list. Only one more to go...can anyone guess (that knows me) what it will be? Today's post is #2 on the list. My brother has made fun of me for YEARS as this movie gets me sadder than hell. Just watching it a month or so ago had me bawling my eyes out.
For this and the final entry in the list, I am presenting more of an overview of why it makes me lose it uncontrollably.
Hope you all enjoy...



#2: Planes, Trains and Automobiles
(Or as my brother commonly refers to as P.T.A. when making fun of me)
Yeh, yeh, yeh. This movie's a comedy. All the haha moments for which there are plenty.
The waking up in the morning with the hand in the buttcheeks and the driving down the wrong side of the freeway and the flippity floppity and the arrrwwwwwwwww (sorry, Bill Cosby moment-just picture Bill saying that last sentence. Pure comic gold.)
ANYWAYS, what REALLY gets the Big T boo-hooing is when Neil (played by Steve Martin), realizes, after catching a train home after all the hijinks of the film, that Dell Griffith (his cohort on the trip from hell played by John Candy), really doesn't have a home. He doesn't have a wife he so lovingly talks about in their heart to hearts.

The picture of Candy sitting at the train station alone with his big trunk at his side is SO heartwrenching! Ugh!
Neil confronts him and finds out that Dell's wife died a while ago and he doesn't have a "home" to go home to.
But Neil does.

And so he brings Dell home with him for the holiday they really thought they were gonna miss.
The final scene in the movie has Dell meeting Neil's family. His kids. His wife.
The music is "Everytime You Go Away" by some group that's not the original. But it works.

Dell looks down at his hands gripping his hat and then looks up again and smiles.

WHEWEEEE!
Who'da thunk a comedy could have such heart and be so sad?
This movie is one of my dad's faves of all time and he laughs his head off at it.
I do too. But then I also blow snot all over the sofa at the end.
I guess we both have different views on the film.
One not to be missed. If you haven't seen it or are turned away by "wacky" comedy, give it a try.
There are some genuine laughs and, obvious, geniuine drama.
This was also a John Hughes movie.

5 Comments:

Blogger swirlogirl said...

that is heartwrenching just to read. but i think richard marx's "right here waiting" would have been a better choice for that scene.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

LOL!!!!!!!!
Yeh....verrrry funny yo b!
Maybe a Michael Bolton or Kenny G classic during the credits?

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok Trav you are the StayPuff Marshmellow man! Just a big softie!! :)

2:51 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

by the way. i enjoy joes comments. especially if he is captain big wang

10:09 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I cannot believe I didn't see this one coming!!!! I don't know you at all. This one always confused the shit out of me. I should have guessed it.

What will number one be?
I have a guess.

It's Friday the 13th: A New Begining isn't it? It's when junior gets killed isn't that the part that sends you over the top.

I know it.

Seriously, I've Mel and I have an idea what it is.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home